
I've been meaning to post a blog about my thoughts about the death of Benazir Bhutto. Normally I don't mess with political stuff, but this was a woman I admired. Her father was the first civilian elected in a post-colonial Muslim country. She herself was the first female leader of a Muslim country. She emphasized democracy and the need for Pakistan to make changes for the better. I'm not one to advocate imposing change on countries (aka Iraq) against the will of the people of that country, but she had a HUGE following. One only need google her name and you can see the masses of people who are mourning her passing. Everyone is pointing the finger at each other for her death, even the militants deny killing her. Bhutto was very insightful in her own demise. She once said that if she is killed, there a few people in Musharaf's government that should be held responsible. I bet she was right. She didn't say that he himself was responsible, but the company Musharraf keeps needs to be examined.
Pakistan claims it has intelligence that al-Qaeda has taken responsibility. Bhutto supporters claim a cover-up by the government. Even al-Qaeda denies it...claiming they don't target women. It'll be interesting the next few weeks what other theories come out of the mix.
Musharraf paints himself as an ally of the U.S., but his actions in the recent past have done more to secure his own power rather than do the things he said he'd do in order to combat the terrorist ideology in the region. I'm not saying that he needs to be a U.S. lap dog; Pakistan is a very unstable country and Musharraf himself walks a fine line.
I think it a very real possibility that Bhutto could have won those elections in two weeks. She knew her life was in danger when she returned to Pakistan. She took great risks appearing in public, but she was willing to risk her life doing what she felt was the right thing to do. A great advocate for women, she was concerned about women's health and social issues, something that seriously needs to be addressed in many nations, not just those in the Middle East. Bhutto was a very strong, female Muslim who made the big boys uneasy because she was a woman with power. The attack was well planned. Whoever shot her knew they'd have the opportunity once she got in the car after the rally. I don't credit the Pakistani government's report one iota...that she died "hitting her head on the sunroof" when she ducked to avoid the gunshots. They claim she was never hit. A hospital worker claims it was shrapnel, not gunshots, that killed her. That might be more credible. The initial report was that she was shot in the neck while addressing her supporters after her last rally. Muslim law required a body to be buried within 24 hours and an aide that helped prepare her body for burial claims she had a gunshot wound to the head. It's amazing how even her death is controversial.
Anyway, I think it's really sad that she was killed, though I'm not surprised. Once she landed in Pakistan back in October, I knew she wouldn't last long, that she'd be assassinated sooner or later. I was hoping that these elections would bring about change in the country, now I have my doubts. Pakistan should postpone the elections and allow Bhutto's party to figure out how they will continue their campaign. Some have said Bhutto's husband should take over, others say her son (I think he's only 19 or 20...WAY too young if you ask me) or another aide. Who knows.
The next few weeks should be interesting.
There. That's my political rant. I'm so uncomfortable talking politics, it's amazing.
Edited to Add:
Newsweek just released that Bhutto did in fact name her 19 year old son as her successor with her husband acting as his regent until he "comes of age." But the article also mentions that neither her husband nor her son will probably be the candidate to take her place.
Huh.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/82403
1 comment:
what i don't understand is how are all these assassins able to hit the pope and other major political leaders and nobody has gotten close enough to hit the single guy that needs to be taken out most. hmmm.
Post a Comment