20 September 2007

Where do all the stars go?

Another week, another trip up north. I've returned to an inbox full of requests pulling me in different direction as the stress begins to swirl around my feet, rising ever so slowly. I don't want it to consume me. Not yet. Leave that for tomorrow. It all seems so insignificant. I've just come from the most peaceful place on earth for me, and I don't want to lose that feeling quite yet. I never knew I could fall in love with a town and the people that live in it. On the surface, life seems so simple, but I know that is naive to assume. Life is complicated anywhere, from the big city to small communities. It's all complicated. Yet, I've found my heart in a small mountain town. A place where the sky is alive with stars every night. That is where the stars go when they aren't in Tucson. The people are far from perfect, but I love them in all their eccentric quirks and small town syndromes. How do you fall in love with a town? How to you reconcile your head with your heart and emotions? Your head says it can't ever happen. You're married, leaving Arizona in a year, and are moving on from this phase in life. Big cities. High-paying jobs. The "real world" awaits. But is that truly important? Your heart is pulled to that mountainside, so much so it hurts. You know you'll always wonder what happiness awaits, had you the means to pursue it. There is a place that has an empty spot that you fit just perfectly.
A place you've always belonged, but never been. I want to be a part of that...where all the stars go at night.

No comments: